Tuesday, February 21
Posted by Kate Baker at 2/21/2017
- The Lowell Scott Math Counts team got 2nd place in the competition over the weekend at Boise State University. Elena Yang lead the team with getting 3rd place over all. The other team members that qualified for state are Ryan Ripley, Devi Turner, and Austin Li. The next competition is March 11th. Special shout out to the other awesome team members that attend the competition over the weekend: Hudson Hailey, Cade Hymas, Skye Bowman, and Jake Palin. There were 130 participants from 13 different schools in the treasure valley and all of our students scored in the top 40! Lowell Scott did really well representing the smart students that attend our school. Way to go! Good luck at State.
- Yesterday after school we had our second NaNoWriMo Write-In, with 13 competitors this time. Yesterday's winning novelist was Chloe Robbins, who wrote 1,021 words in just 40 minutes! Chloe, you can come to the library to claim your prize after the Pledge. We will have another Write-In after school today. This is a great way to add hundreds of words to your novel, so come on to the library from 3:20 to 4 today!
- In other NaNo News, as of last night we have 53 writers who have passed the halfway mark and 4 writers who have already met or passed their goal! Congratulations to Sabrina Beshirova, Norah Parsons, Sophia Pratt, and Rebecca Christensen for hitting 100%! So far, our participants have written a total of 935,838 words -- that's almost a million words in just 20 days, and there are still ten days to go! Keep up the great work, writers!
- Applications to be a library aide or Mouse Squad tech aide next year are available in the library or front office.
- Attention 8th graders: Centennial High School is offering an Incoming Freshman Family Night on Tuesday, March 7th from 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. in the CHS main gym. This is your chance for you and your parents to get information about Centennial High School, meet the administrators, and hear about school activities available to freshman. The CHS staff will also discuss information about our district's Fast Forward Program, and the difference between AP and Concurrent classes. Please see the LSMS counselors for more information.
- Have any items missing? Please check the lost and found in the cafeteria for any items you may have misplaced. Items left unclaimed will be donated on Thursday morning. Please make sure to stop by the cafeteria this week, for any missing items.
- Attention all Lowell Scott students: You are invited to participate in open gym in the Auxiliary gym from 3:30pm – 4:45pm, this coming Friday. We will be having some friendly team competition with 4 vs 4 “King of the Court”. And as usual, prizes will be awarded to the top scoring teams of each court.
- The Northwest Ada Little League Association are now accepting registration for Baseball and Softball players, ages 4-16. If you are interested in playing, please stop by for an informational flier.
- LSMS has been selected to give the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) this year. Our testing date is today, Tuesday, February 21st. NAEP is a national test that gives a picture of how students around the country are doing. About 125 of our 8th grade students have been randomly selected to participate. Students who were selected received a letter last week. Eighth grade students who have been selected will be pulled out of class at different times today to test. One group will begin at 8:30; the other will begin after break. When your group is called, please leave your cell phones in your locker. Cell phones are prohibited during testing.
- The library is closed today for NAEP testing. You can turn in your books to the hallway book drop. We plan for the library to be open before the end of the day.
- Listen up! All 7th grade boys and girls interested in playing basketball for Lowell Scott - there will be an informational meeting this morning in the Hoyle Gym to discuss the upcoming season. Please come and learn more about this great opportunity to play basketball and to improve your skills. There will be multiple girls and boys teams so be sure to show up today, after announcements, in the Hoyle Gym.
- Immediately following the pledge, will all Team Extreme and Team Patagonia students who were absent yesterday, please come to the cafeteria to receive your course selection form and listen to a brief presentation.