Thursday, February 16
Posted by Kate Baker at 2/16/2017
- LSMS has been selected to give the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) this year. Our testing date is next Tuesday, February 21st. NAEP is a national test that gives a picture of how students around the country are doing. About 125 of our 8th grade students have been randomly selected to participate. Students who were selected will be receiving a letter today during advisory class. Eighth grade students who have been selected will be pulled out of class at different times on Tuesday to test. If you have questions please see Mrs. Miller in the counseling center.
- If you are in NaNoWriMo, Builders Club, NJHS, Ski Club, Sewing Club, Chess Club, Technology Club, Sources of Strength, Student Council, Yearbook Staff, Math Counts, Band, Choir, Orchestra, or Guitar: We will be taking our full-group photos for yearbook tomorrow (Friday) morning. That is all music ensembles and the school clubs. If you have questions, ask your club advisor/music teacher, or Mrs. Baker in the library.
- Yesterday we had our first NaNoWriMo write-in, a speed-writing competition to boost word count. Fourteen novelists set their keyboards on fire and wrote almost 8000 words in just half an hour! Clocking in with an impressive 1,257 words was Lily Giordano, our Write-In Winner. Lily, please come get your prize in the library after the announcements.
- In other NaNoWriMo news, we are halfway to the end of the event and hopefully you are approaching 50% of your goal. All participants should be receiving a note in their English class today -- check it out!
- Attention all National Junior Honor Society members: Yearbook pictures will be taken during break tomorrow, Friday February 17th. Please wear your NJHS long sleeve t-shirt if you have one. Passes will be sent to your 2nd period class as a reminder to meet for the picture. Questions? See Mrs. Gallas.
- ATTENTION 8th grade boys. Scoliosis screenings will be conducted in the Hoyle gym this Friday February 17 during Advisory and 1st period. An email was sent to your parents with the attached opt-out form. This form will need to be signed by your parents and turned into the nurse in order for you to not be screened.
- The Northwest Ada Little League Association are now accepting registration for Baseball and Softball players, ages 4-16. If you are interested in playing, please stop by for an informational flier.
- Attention all Lowell Scott students: You are invited to participate in open gym in the Auxiliary gym from 3:30pm – 4:45pm, this coming Friday. We will be having some friendly team competition with 4 vs 4 “King of the Court”. And as usual, prizes will be awarded to the top scoring teams of each court.
- If you are on the video committee for Sources of Strength, please go to Conference Room #2 after the pledge today. Also, all Sources of Strength members, please wear your SOS t-shirt to school tomorrow (Friday) for our group yearbook picture.
- Just a reminder to 6th grade students, next Monday and Tuesday will be an ‘A’ day next week. Please plan accordingly.